Avery Dennison Advances Sustainability Efforts in 2020
Avery Dennison Corporation announces a series of recent actions that further acknowledge its accelerated sustainability efforts, ending the year with progress toward its 2025 sustainability goals and recommitting its role within the global value chain.
The company recently received improved scores on its transparency and actions on climate change, water, and forests by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP). This nonprofit organization operates a global disclosure system for investors, companies, cities, states, and regions to manage their environmental impacts. Avery Dennison earned an A on forests and scored a B for climate change and water security.
The company’s actions include:
- Defining environmental, social, and governance (ESG) policies and metrics
- Publishing a policy on human rights
- Publishing a policy on climate and the company’s strategy to move toward a lower-carbon future (The company has reduced absolute greenhouse gas emissions by more than 44% through the third quarter of 2020 against its 2015 baseline, which exceeds the initially set target of a 26% reduction by 2025)
- Publishing a policy paper on water, acknowledging the value of water as a vital resource
- Updating commitments to Responsible Paper Procurement reflective of the company’s role as a stakeholder in the supply chain of pulp and paper products
In 2020, Avery Dennison also took steps to align with the United Nations’ blueprint for a more sustainable future. In November, Avery Dennison joined companies and stakeholders as a signer of the U.N. Global Compact, a voluntary corporate citizenship initiative.
Additionally, Avery Dennison aligned its eight 2025 sustainability goals more strategically against the UN Sustainable Development Goals as a plan for ending extreme poverty, reducing inequality, and protecting the planet by 2030.
“The global challenges of 2020 have shown unequivocally the importance of pursuing—and delivering—sustainable business practices and corporate actions that will lead to more resilient communities and business enterprises,” says Deon Stander, Avery Dennison. “As we head into 2021, our strategies take on even more significance, and we will double down on innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement throughout our supply chain to make a meaningful difference for people and the planet.”