For many shops, taking time away from getting goods printed and out the door is a challenge. Unfortunately, during the lockdowns we are experiencing with the COVID-19 pandemic, time is much more available for many. Getting a grip on some shop organization will serve you when things start to get back to normal. The ink room is a great place to start.
We all know that this area in a shop can easily seem messy because of spilled pigments and inks. Consider these quick tips for keeping your space clean and organized:
- Smooth stainless steel benchtops are perfect for easily cleaning up those drips and spills, but any smooth laminate surface is better than a wood one.
- Cleaning up the outside of your containers can help you avoid contamination of other color formulas and smudging on shirts as you multitask.
- Organizing your inks by most-used can make your ink prep operations leaner. Laminating and posting a formula guide for those most-used colors or additives required for printing on different substrates like nylon can help improve accuracy and reduce waste.
- Building out your ink storage units to hold two containers for FIFO (First In First Out) rotation can help you ensure you are using your oldest stock first.
- Carefully cleaning your scales is essential in weighing errors that can be caused by a buildup of ink on the sides and stage area of the scale.
- Lastly, can you combine some of those dark inks to make a black, to use up old stock? Make sure you use the same chemistries and test that ink before you roll.
Remember, this is a great time to prepare for a transition back to normal business operations.