5S, or 5S Lean, is a system I recently gleaned from a customer, Cedarstream, for organizing shop tools and accessories effectively.
5S is the most effective way to keep tools and supplies organized. It’s a simple program that is part of the lean manufacturing technique adopted by companies worldwide.
The five steps of 5S Lean include:
- Sort – Eliminate unnecessary items that are not needed for the current workflow.
- Set in order – Frequently used workstation materials and tools should be arranged so that all needed items are easy to access and find.
- Shine – Keep all equipment clean and free of clutter. Clean equipment equates to smoother productivity and improved quality.
- Standardize – Benchmarking and evaluation tactics should be utilized to maintain a consistent approach for carrying out tasks and procedures.
- Sustain – Train and educate your staff so your production team can continue these practices day in and day out.