Chicago-based specialty substrate manufacturer GPA announces the winners of its 2017 Print & Design Contest, which it has held every year since 2004.
Companies across North America submitted their entries on GPA substrates to compete in six product categories for the Best of Category award. From those winning entries, one was chosen Best of Show, and then six additional entries were presented with an Award of Distinction for making a lasting impression on the judges.
The 2017 Best of Show winner was Hodgins Engraving of Batavia, New York, for its entry highlighting the vitality of print, in what GPA calls a “playfully macabre” capabilities book titled “Print is Alive.” Hodgins collaborated with ad agency FIFTEEN in Buffalo, New York, to create a campaign targeting marketing and creative agencies in the New York area. By using tactile effects, bright colors, and a multitude of substrates, Hodgins says it wanted to demonstrate the full potential of print rather than just talking about it.
“It’s an honor to receive the Best of Show award,” says Becky Almeter, president of Hodgins Engraving. “The relationships that made this possible are at the center of it all. FIFTEEN has remarkable creative minds and translated our vision into amazing design work, and vendors like GPA provided innovative products as well as the platform to promote them. We at Hodgins have enjoyed a reputation for quality and excellence in the industry for many years, and we look forward to going even deeper with our vendor and customer partnerships in the future.”
Hodgins Engraving selected two GPA boards for this project, which won in the “Papers: C1S & C2S Boards, Pre-Converted Substrates” category. They were Ultra Digital 18-pt. White C1S Boards, used to demonstrate the impact of using a thick stock; and 12-pt. Silver Mirri Board, used to show how a metallic board can add drama to a printed piece.
Other Best of Category Winners:
- Bennett Graphics of Tucker, Georgia in the “Papers: Coated & Uncoated” category for its “Bennett Graphics Sensational Tool Kit”
- Cedar Graphics of Hiawatha, Iowa in the “Papers: Specialty Fine Substrates” category for its “Cedar Graphics ‘Secret Awesome Sauce’ Mailer”
- DCG One of Seattle, Washington in the “Pressure Sensitive Synthetics” for its “Hyrule Warriors Legends for Nintendo 3DS Signage”
- GLS / NEXT Precision Marketing of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota in the “Pressure Sensitive Papers” category for its “TPC Rose Event Invitation Labels”
- Oliver Printing of Twinsburg, Ohio in the “Non-Adhesive Synthetics” category for its “Hitachi CT Scanner Scanner Mailer”
Award of Distinction winners are:
- Bennett Graphics of Tucker, Georgia for “Saltshaker Marketing & Media Magazine #1”
- Cedar Graphics of Hiawatha, Iowa for “Cedar Graphics 2017 Calendar”
- GLS / NEXT Precision Marketing of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota for “GLS / NEXT ‘Mail Magic’ Interactive Event Invitation”
- GLS / NEXT Precision Marketing for “‘Topics in 20’ Dimensional Fold-Out Mailer”
- Visions Inc. of Brooklyn Park, Minnesota for “Visions ‘Unmask Your Potential’ Open House Invitation”
- Dreamworks Graphic Communications of Glenview, Illinois for “Dreamworks 2017 Calendar”
Four industry professionals judged this year’s event, evaluating entries on uniqueness of design, number of substrates utilized, complexity of production, application use, and quality of printing.