Customized Christmas ornaments make great heirlooms. Create a design layout for laser engraving in five steps using CorelDraw:
- Create your design and group (ctrl+G) together all separate objects. Duplicate this by clicking Edit > Duplicate (ctrl+D). (Image 1)
- Using the duplicate, create the vector cutting profile of the design by using the Contour tool. Select the ornament and click Effects > Contour (ctrl+F9). A Contour Docker will appear. Set the options to these values: Outside Contour, Offset: 0.2; Steps: 1; Round Corners. Click Apply. (Image 2)
- The contoured object will not have an outline color. Right click on the palette color you use for vector cutting. Click Arrange > Break Apart (ctrl+K) and delete any extra outlines, leaving only the outside line. (Image 3)
- Create the loop for hanging the ornament by drawing a circle. Overlap the circle on the middle of the top of the cutting vector. Overlap the circle so that Â¾ of it is above the cutting vector and the circle. Click Arrange > Shaping > Weld. (Image 4)
- Draw a circle to place inside the previously created circle that was welded to the cutting vector. Select and place the original engraving graphic inside the cutting vector. (Image 5)
The ornament design is now complete and ready for engraving and cutting.
-Mike Fruciano, LaserBits