When a thought pops into your head and the need arises to share it with another, a good communicator quickly assesses six important issues:
- What do I want the other person to know?
- How will the other person feel about the info, or what do I want them to feel?
- What do I want or expect the other person to do?
- How much time do I have to deliver the message?
- How important is it that I get a response or receive new information?
- How likely is it that the words may be misinterpreted if I don’t use the right tone and/or nonverbal signals?
-Vince DiCecco, Your Personal Business Trainer